The Sammamish Plateau Water and Sewer District is prepared for disasters.
Emergencies or disaster situations can include windstorms, floods, earthquakes and seasonal weather events. In a severe or prolonged emergency, it is possible that the water and sewer systems may be out of operation for a period of time. In that situation, you may be without water or sewer service until repairs are made.
What can you do to be prepared?
- Find your meter and practice turning off your water in advance of an emergency event. (Information provided courtesy of the Highline Water District and used with permission.)
- Find your master valve and learn how to shut it off during emergencies. Mark the master valve with a tag so you can find it during an emergency. Show other family members where this valve is located.
- Store tap water at your home. The Washington Department of Health has a brochure that describes water treatment and storage options.
- Drain your hot water tank and use this water during emergencies.
- Learn how to prevent frozen pipes with this video from "This Old House".
Sewer Systems and Grinder Pumps:
- Follow these steps if your sewer system is not functioning.
- If your house uses a grinder pump for your sewer service, it will not operate in a power outage. Conserve water so the sewage does not back up into the house when the grinder pump is not operational. If you have a generator, be sure it is sized properly for operation of the grinder pump. Be sure you know how to use your generator safely.
- Don't Clog the Sewers!
- Don't Flush Trouble!
Emergency Supply Kits:
- Put together an emergency supply kit for you and your family. The Seattle Red Cross provides a list of suggested supplies and kits available for purchase.
The District has analyzed many of the potential impacts to the water and sewer systems and how these impacts can be minimized and mitigated. For instance, many of our facilities have generators to keep the water and wastewater systems operating when power is not available. District staff has been trained in the federal Incident Command System procedures and participate in training exercises within the District and with other area agencies.
For more information:
Washington Military Department, Emergency Management Division: http://www.emd.wa.gov/index.shtml
Federal Emergency Management Agency's "Ready.gov" website: http://www.ready.gov/
Puget Sound Offices of Emergency Management: http://makeitthrough.org/
Seattle/King County Red Cross - Preparedness and Supplies: http://www.seattleredcross.org